- Link policy
- The Team
- Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Army Research Laboratory
- Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Communications-Electronic Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Edgewood Chemical Biological Center
- Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center
- Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center
Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center
The U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development & Engineering Center is the Nation’s laboratory for advanced military automotive technology and engineering integration. TARDEC is located in the heart of the world’s automotive capital. Its technical, engineering and scientific staff leads research in all ground manned and unmanned vehicle technologies, including a wide variety of logistics equipment, water generation and purification systems, fuels and lubricants, alternative energy, propulsion systems and mobility, robotics, military bridging, countermine and construction equipment.
TARDEC is a major element of RDECOM and partner in the TACOM Life Cycle Management Command. As a full life-cycle engineering support provider-of-first-choice for all DOD ground combat and combat support weapons and vehicle systems, TARDEC develops and integrates the right technology solutions to improve Current Force effectiveness and provide superior capabilities for the Future Force.
TARDEC’s strategic technology focus areas are ground vehicle Survivability, Ground Vehicle Power and Mobility, Intelligent Ground Systems, Vehicle Architecture and Electronics, and Maneuver Support and Sustainment. TARDEC is fulfilling its role as DoD’s Ground Systems Integrator and has a long history of strong partnerships and collaboration. Its engineers and scientists are at the forefront of technology development and engineering and systems integration.
While leading FCS vehicle propulsion and power & energy research, TARDEC is also supporting Warfighters in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Global War on Terrorism. TARDEC has successfully:
• Integrated and rapidly prototyped Add-on-Armor (AoA) kits for the standard HMMWV, IHMEE Kit 3.0, MRAP variants and engineering construction equipment.
• Developed an impressive fleet of robotics platforms to include ODIS, PackBot®, MARCbot IV, TALON®, CAST and TAGS-CX, several of which assisted with the 56th Presidential Inauguration activities that took place Jan. 17 – 21, 2009.
• TARDEC’s 1,100 associates are responsible for more than 2,800 Army systems and many of the Army’s and DOD’s top joint Warfighter development programs.
• Developed the following product/system solutions include: HMMWV Monster Garage; MRAP Gunner Restraint System kits for seven vehicle variants; Segmented Band Track; HMMWV Egress Assistance Trainer (HEAT); Tip-over Antenna Mount; “Monster Garage” HMMWV Improvement Program; Mine Resistant Ambush protected (MRAP) Expedient Armor Program (MEAP); and Optimization of Communications and Electronic Warfare Antenna Placement on MRAP Vehicles.
TARDEC’s technicians, scientists and engineers are dedicated to enhancing the lethality, survivability and sustainability of our Soldiers, regardless of where the battlefield or mission takes them. Our Enterprise commitment: Lead. Innovate. Integrate. Deliver.